On Wednesday, January 15, the commemoration of the repose and second finding of the relics of Venerable Seraphim of Sarov, Metropolitan Hilarion of Eastern America & New York visited Holy Dormition Convnet "Novo-Diveevo" in Nanuet, NY, for the patronal feast day of its St. Seraphim Cathedral, and celebrated the festal Divine Liturgy, co-served by diocesan vicar Bishop Nicholas of Manhattan.
Also concelebrating with the hierarchs:
- Archpriest Alexander Fedorowski (cathedral dean)
- Archpriest Elias Gorsky (rector of Holy Virgin Protection Church in Nyack, NY)
- Archpriest David Straut (member of the Diocesan Council, rector of St. Elizabeth the New-Martyr Church in Rocky Hill, NJ)
- Archpriest Andrei Sommer (dean of the Synodal Cathedral of the Sign in New York City)
- Archpriest George Zelenin (rector of St. Michael Church in Wayne, NJ)
- Archpriest Brendan Crowley (rector of St. Nicholas Church in Enfield, CT)
- Archpriest Constantine Semyanko (rector of Holy Presentation Church in Stratford, CT)
- Archpriest Dimitri Jakimowicz (rector of St. Nicholas Church in Stratford)
- Priest George Temidis (rector of Nativity of the Mother of God Church at the New Kursk Root Hermitage in Mahopac, NY)
- Priest Artem Siss (convent cleric)
- Priest Andrew Podymow (cleric of Holy Protection Church in Nyack)
- Protodeacon Nicolas Mokhoff (cleric of the Synodal Cathedral)
- Protodeacon Paul Wolkow (cleric of St. Seraphim Memorial Church in Sea Cliff, NY)
- Protodeacon Serge Arlievsky (convent cleric)
- Deacon Michael Pavuk (cleric of St. John the Baptist Cathedral in Mayfield, PA)
- Deacon Alexey Pnev (cleric of the New Kursk Root Hermitage)
- Deacon Nicholas Ilyin (convent cleric)
- Deacon Stefan Stoyanov (cleric of the Synodal Cathedral), and visiting clergy.
Prior the start of Liturgy that morning, an akathist was served to St. Seraphim, followed by a blessing of the water. Set on an analogion in the center of the church and adorned with fir branches and tender roses, was an icon of St. Seraphim of Sarov with a piece of his relics, painted on a slab of stone on which the venerable one had prayed. The church choir sang triumphally and prayerfully under the direction of John Arlievsky. Despite its being a workday, a large number of worshippers gathered for the festal service and communed of. Christ’s Holy Mysteries.
In his words of greeting, Metropolitan Hilarion congratulated Fr. Alexander Fedorowski, Abbess Makaria (Fadina), the clerics of Novo-Diveevo, the sisters of the convent, and parishioners with their patronal feast. His Eminence also congratulated Fr. Serge Arlievsky on the occasion of the 25th anniversary of his ordination to the diaconate, noting his labors in helping adorn and upkeep the convent. Fr. Elias Gorsky congratulated Fr. Serge with his jubilee, and thanked him for his many years of diligent labors on behalf of the parish school at Holy Protection Church in Nyack, the director of which Fr. Serge has been for the past ten years. For many years, Fr. Serge has sat on the Synodal Liturgical Music Commission, has taken part in running the annual Singers’ and St. Herman Youth Conferences, as well as the summer Orthodox NORR Camp.
Fr. Serge grew up in Novo-Diveevo, where he met his future Matushka Nina (née Zarudsky), and on this very day in 1995 was ordained a deacon by Bishop Hilarion of Manhattan (now First Hierarch of ROCOR). Fr. Serge’s grandfather – Protodeacon Boris Czekawsky – also served as deacon at Novo-Diveevo, for over 40 years. Fr. Serge’s parents – Igor Petrovich and Alla Borisova – are long-time parishioners of St. Seraphim Church.
The Polychronion was intoned for the hierarchs, clergy, monastics, and faithful present, as well as for Fr. Serge specially. Upon completion of the service, a delicious luncheon was served for the clergy and faithful in the convent refectory. Fr. Serge was presented with a jubilee cake, baked in the form of a purple kamilavka. Although not everyone was able to find a seat, nevertheless the people did not want to disperse, instead remaining to talk, reminisce about the past, and enjoy the warm weather.