On Friday, July 9, Metropolitan Hilarion of Eastern America & New York and diocesan vicar Bishop Nicholas of Manhattan paid an archpastoral visit to Our Lady of Tikhvin Church in Howell, NJ. On the occasion of its patronal feast day, Metropolitan Hilarion celebrated Divine Liturgy. Concelebrating with His Eminence were Bishop Nicholas, parish clergy, and clerics of New York and New Jersey:
- Archpriest Mark Shinn (rector of St. Andrew Naval Cathedral in Philadelphia, PA)
- Archpriest Serge Lukianov (parish rector)
- Archpriest Luka Novakovic (rector of St. Michael Church in Philadelphia)
- Archpriest Zoran Radovic (rector of St. George Serbia Church in Elizabeth, NJ)
- Archpriest Mark Burachek (rector of Our Lady of Kazan Church in Newark, NJ)
- Archpriest Boris Oparin (rector of St. Joasaph of Belgorod Church in Brooklyn, NY)
- Archpriest Boris Slootsky (parish cleric)
- Archpriest Vasily Zelenyuk (rector of St. Luke the Blessed Surgeon Church in Pompano Beach, FL)
- Archpriest Milorad Orlic (rector of St. Nicholas Serbian Church in Philadelphia)
- Archpriest Leonid Goferman (rector of Holy Protection Church in New Brunswick, NJ)
- Archpriest Dimitri Jakimowicz (rector of St. Nicholas Church in Stratford, CT)
- Priest Anthony Williams (parish cleric)
- Priest Artem Siss (cleric of Holy Dormition Convent "Novo-Diveevo" in Nanuet NY)
- Protodeacon Paul Drozdowski (parish cleric)
- Deacon Alexis Golubov (cleric of St. Nicholas Patriarchal Cathedral in New York City)
- Hierodeacon Panteleimon (Jigalin; diocesan cleric), and
- Deacon Dimitry Lisan (parish cleric).
The First Hierarch of the Russian Church Abroad was greeted by the rector, Fr. Serge. He spoke about the history of the construction of the Tikhvin Church, noting that this year marks its 85th anniversary, as well as the history of the Tikhvin Icon, which resides in the church, and which once belonged to the Holy Martyred Empress Alexandra Feodorovna.
A multitude of parishioners gathered for the service, most of whom communed of Christ’s Holy Mysteries.
Upon completion of Liturgy, Bishop Nicholas greeted everyone with the feast and addressed the faithful with a sermon, calling on them to follow the Mother of God’s example of humility, and in all of life’s circumstances to make haste in prayer to her intercession.
In response, the rector thanked the archpastors, clergy, and lait who had gathered for the feast day in this historic church, in order together to prayerfully entreat the Mother of God.
A festal luncheon was served in the refectory for the clergy and guests, during which interaction continued between the participants of the feast.
Howell, NJ: Metropolitan Hilarion officiates Patronal Feast of Our Lady of Tikhvin Church - 07/09/21
Photos: T. Veselkina - Media Office of the Eastern American Diocese