On Wednesday morning, July 18, a fire broke out in the candle factory of Holy Dormition Convent "Novo-Diveevo" in Nanuet, NY. The building was completely lost but no one was hurt.
A message on the convent’s website reads:
This morning at 6:15 am, our candle factory burnt down. It appears to be a total loss. The candle factory is located in the building known as the Green Barracks. The front of the building housed two apartments and several guest rooms. Currently we are assessing the full scope of the damage. It does appear that we have several people currently displaced. Thank God that nobody was hurt in the fire. Father Alexander and Abbess Makaria are asking for your prayers.
According to News 12 Hudson Valley, firefighters from several companies had a difficult time fighting the fire on the 50-acre monastery complex, with the candle factory building sitting in a wooded area. It took about 30-40 minutes for the fire to be extinguished. One person was in the building when the fire broke out but was able to escape unharmed. Investigators say the fire does not look suspicious.
The convent is now working to raise $300,000 to build a new candle workshop. All those who wish to help are encouraged to visit the convent’s GoFundMe page and donate.