On June 30, the Sunday of All Saints who have shone forth in the Russian land, Metropolitan Hilarion of Eastern America & New York performed an archpastoral visit to St. Alexander Nevsky Diocesan Cathedral in Howell, NJ where he celebrated Divine Liturgy.
Concelebrating with His Eminence was His Grace, diocesan vicar Bishop Luke of Syracuse, who arrived in Howell the evening prior and serving All-Night Vigil in the cathedral, and clergy of the Diocese:
- Archpriest Serge Lukianov (cathedral rector)
- Archpriest Rafael Melendez (cathedral cleric)
- Archpriest Alexander Webster (dean of Holy Trinity Seminary in Jordanville, NY)
- Archpriest Boris Slootsky (cathedral cleric)
- Archpriest Seraphim Chemodakov (cathedral dean)
- Abbot Tikhon (Gayfudinov; abbot of Holy Protection Skete in Buena, NJ)
- Hieromonk Anatoly (Zilin; cleric of Holy Trinity Monastery in Jordanville)
- Priest George Kaplanov (cathedral cleric)
- Priest Ephraim Willmarth (cleric of Holy Trinity Monastery)
- Protodeacon Vadim Gan (cleric of the Synodal Cathedral of the Sign in New York City)
- Protodeacon Nicholas Lukianov (cathedral cleric), and
- Protodeacon Paul Drozdowski (cathedral cleric), and
- Deacon Michael Pavuk (cleric of St. John the Baptist Cathedral in Mayfield, PA).
Singing the service were a male and mixed choirs, comprised of participants of the Patriarch Tikhon Russian-American Music (PaTRAM) Institute, which was completing its latest master class at the diocesan cathedral under the direction of Maestro Vladimir Gorbik and Benedict Sheehan. Singing in the choirs were: Priest Mikel Hill (cleric of St. Tikhon of Zadonsk OCA Monastery in South Canaan, PA), Protodeacon Leonid Roschko (cathedral cleric), and Deacon Nicholas Ilyin (cleric of Holy Dormition Convent "Novo-Diveevo" in Nanuet, NY).
A multitude of parishioners of the cathedral and faithful from nearby cities prayed at the service, many of whom communed of Christ’s Holy Mysteries.
Metropolitan Hilarion congratulated the clergy and parishioners with the feast, and talked about the Russian saints and the importance of their veneration and appeal for help through prayer. Afterward, His Eminence read aloud in Ukrainian a diploma of Bachelor of Theology and presented it to cathedral Subdeacon Oleg Varavko, who graduated from Odessa Theological Seminary.
Fr. Serge Lukianov then greeted the administration of Holy Trinity Seminary, headed by Bishop Luke, and on behalf of the parish’s Benevolent Fund in memory of Protopresbyter Valery Lukianov, presented the seminary, a check for $50,000. Part of these funds will be allocated to parish Reader Mykola Ivanchuk for tuition for the upcoming academic year.
Professor Nicholas Schidlovsky was also introduced as the new dean of Holy Trinity Seminary.
Upon conclusion of the service, a group photograph was taken of clergy and PaTRAM choir participants. Interaction continued during a luncheon prepared by the cathedral sisterhood.
Howell, NJ: Metropolitan Hilarion, Bishop Luke perform Archpastoral Visit to St. Alexander Nevsky Diocesan Cathedral - 06/30/19
Photos: Media Office of the Eastern American Diocese - G. Konyev