On Tuesday, May 25, hierarchs, clergy, and faithful gathered in St. Alexander Nevsky Cathedral in Howell, NJ to commemorate the third anniversary of the repose of Protopresbyter Valery Lukianov. Celebrating Divine Liturgy was Archbishop Gabriel of Montreal & Canada, co-served by Eastern American Diocesan vicar Bishop Nicholas of Manhattan and a multitude of visiting clergy:
- Archpriest Mark Shinn (rector of St. Andrew Naval Cathedral in Philadelphia, PA)
- Archpriest Serge Lukianov (cathedral rector)
- Archpriest Vasily Andrejuk (rector of St. Cyril of Turov Carpatho-Russian Church in Richmond Hills, NY)
- Archpriest Vasyl Yurina (cleric of Holy Myrrhbearers Church in Brooklyn, NY)
- Archpriest Serafim Gan (chancellor of the ROCOR Synod of Bishops)
- Archpriest Zoran Radovic (rector of St. George Serbian Church in Elizabeth, NJ)
- Abbot Vladimir (Zgoba; rector of Unexpected Joy Church in Staten Island, NY)
- Abbot Nicodemus (Balyasnikov; dean of St. Nicholas Patriarchal Cathedral in New York City)
- Archpriest Petro Kunitsky (cleric of Holy New Martyrs Church in Brooklyn, NY)
- Archpriest Boris Slootsky (cathedral cleric)
- Archpriest Paul Ivanov (rector of Holy Myrrhbearers Church in Brooklyn, NY)
- Abbot Arseny (Manko; rector of Sts. Cosmas & Damian Church in Passaic, NJ)
- Archpriest Dimitri Jakimowicz (rector of St. Nicholas Church in Stratford, CT)
- Archpriest Gregorio Justiniano (rector of St. Juan Climaco Mission in San Germán, PR)
- Priest George Temidis (rector of Nativity of the Mother of God Church at the New Kursk Root Hermitage in Mahopac, NY)
- Priest Valery Sukholobov (rector of Joy of All Who Sorrow Church in Philadelphia, PA)
- Priest Anthony Williams (cathedral cleric)
- Protodeacon Eugene Kallaur (cleric of St. Seraphim Memorial Church in Sea Cliff, NY)
- Protodeacon Paul Drozdowski (cathedral cleric)
- Deacon Alexis Golubov (cleric of St. Nicholas Patriarchal Cathedral)
- Deacon Michael Wengrin (cleric of St. Basil Church in Simpson, PA)
- Hierodeacon Panteleimon (Jigalin; diocesan cleric)
- Deacon Michael Pavuk (cleric of St. John the Baptist Cathedral in Mayfield, PA)
- Deacon Eugene Grigoriak (cleric of Inexhaustible Chalice Church in Brooklyn, NY)
- Hierodeacon Daniel (Justiniano; cleric of Dionysios the Areopagite Monastery in St. James, NY), and
- Deacon Dimitry Lisan (cathedral cleric).
Praying in the altar was the First Hierarch of the Russian Church Abroad, Metropolitan Hilarion of Eastern America & New York. Divine Liturgy was sung by the Holy Trinity Seminary Choir under the direction of Priest Ephraim Willmarth. Despite its being a workday, many parishioners came to pray for the soul of their longtime rector.
Upon conclusion of Liturgy, a procession was held to the grave of Protopresbyter Valery behind the altar of the cathedral. Metropolitan Hilarion led a panihida. Of special importance this year was the erection of a new cruciform gravestone which bore a special quotation from Holy Scripture: "Rejoice evermore. Pray without ceasing. In everything give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you. (Thessalonians 5:16-17). At the end of the panihida, His Eminence blessed the new monument, greeting all with the words "Christ is Risen!"
Upon returning to the cathedral, Fr. Serge Lukianov expressed his gratitude to all those gathered for their prayers. On behalf of the parish’s benevolent fund and Fr. Valery’s memory, a check for $20,000 was presented to Nicolas Schidlovsky, dean of Holy Trinity Seminary in Jordanville, NY to further the education of the next generation of clergymen. In honor of the anniversary, Metropolitan Hilarion, Archbishop Gabriel, Bishops Nicholas and Luke (in absentia), were presented with panagia sets from the Lukianov family.
A bountiful luncheon was prepared in the cathedral hall by the parish sisterhood.
Howell, NJ: Third Anniversary of Protopresbyter Valery Lukianov’s Repose commemorated in St. Alexander Nevsky Diocesan Cathedral - 05/25/21
Photos: Media Office of the Eastern American Diocese - G. Konyev